Thursday, December 13, 2012

annual geminid meteor shower tonight, dec. 13!!!

Credit: Astrophotographer Tommy Eliassen sent in a photo of a Geminid meteor taken over
Hemnes, Nordland, Norway, on Dec. 11, 2012. [Y!News and Space.com]

AUGHHHHHHHHH *this is me, grabbing my face*

I looooove sky events. Which is pretty sad, because I almost always fail to see them. One day I'm going to have a special truck just for times like these, when I very suddenly want to head to some rural, deserted area and stare at lights in the sky. This may also require an on-the-go buddy so as not to repeat the solo mountain horror story...

Anyway, I hope someone gets to see this tonight! I'm going to pop my head out intermittently, but given where I am, the forecast is not so great. If I don't get to spot anything, I will just mope and watch the Geminid video from Space.com. OR NASA!:

A few scattered Geminids can be spotted shortly after sunset tonight. The show will really start picking up around 10 p.m. local time, experts say, and it should peak at 2 a.m. or so. You won't need binoculars or a telescope to see the shooting stars; just crane your neck up, preferably in a spot away from bright city lights.

You can also watch the meteor action online tonight if you so choose. Cooke and several NASA colleagues will host a live web chat overnight from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m. EST (0400 to 0800 GMT), complete with live video of streaking meteors captured by a special camera at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala. It will all happen here: http://www.nasa.gov/connect/chat/geminids2012.html

Get more details at Space.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment